THE HISTORY OF TANJUNG PUTING NATIONAL PARK
At the beginning, Tanjung Puting National Park was a place provided for wild animals, which was pointed by the government of Kotawaringin kingdom through “Zelbustuur Van Kotawaringin” Number 24, June 13th 1936, and then was pointed as Sampit wildlife conservation based on the decree of Governor – General of Dutch Colonial (Staatsblad Van Nederlandsch Indie) number 39, August 18th 1937. The wildlife conservation was intended to protect endemic animals such as Orangitan, Bekantan, as well as vegetation such as Meranti, Ramin, Jelutung, etc.
In 1977, Unesco pointed Tanjung Puting Nationak Park Wildlife Conservation as “Biosphere Conservation”. Biosphere Conservation is a site pointed by various countries through cooperation with the MAB (Man and Biosphere) program – UNESCO to promote biodiversity and sustainable development based on local people’s efforts and science. The main characteristics of Biosphere Conservation are zonal system management, focused on cultural area with biodiversity (especially the role of traditional knowledge in ecosystem management) and participation in global network. Thus, Tanjung Puting National Park conservation is included in the world’s biosphere conservations which already consist of 400 sites in 94 countries.
Tanjung Puting National Park Conservation is administratively located in West Kotawaringin Regency and Seruyan Regency, Central Kalimantan Province. Geographically, this National Park is located between 2° 35’ -2° 20’ south latitude and 111° 50’ -112° 15’east longitude. Its location covers largely alluvial swampy peninsula between Kumai and Seruyan bay and bordered by Sekonyer river in the north, Java Sea in the west and south, and artificial border which stretches about 5 – 10 KMs from Sekoyer river in the east.